asterpurl

>>>your diet needs more fiber<<<

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Life's a Beach

(Life's a Beach is a colorway in Cherry Tree Hill's Spider Silk yarn. )

A few weeks ago I came across a really great de-stashing idea on a blog on the knitters webring. Knit Daisy Knit decided to have a yarn contest. She posted pics of some to-be-destashed yarn and asked for emailed ideas using the yarn. I think this idea is so clever because it means that she sent the yarn to folks who would use it!

One yarn in particular caught my eye - the above-mentioned spider silk yarn.


I envisioned it as a simple shawl - start with a few stitches (I usually start with 4) and then k2, yo, k til the end. Repeat until just enough yarn is left for the cast-off row.

The end result from such a pattern is a pleasant garter stitch triangle with a simple 2 stitch and eyelet border on each end. An eyelet row could be included near the top if desired.


Happily my idea was selected and I got the yarn just a few days later in the post. I started on the piece soon afterward using sz 11 needles. (Yarn specs - from the label - 60% silk/ 40% superfine merino, 4 0z, 160 yds) This yarn is really unique - a merino core with silk 'fur' fluffing out - and very bright colors!



I hope these pics do it justice. The yarn was a joy to knit and the resulting shawl is a perfect shoulder-warmer. Best of all, it reminds me of the kindness of knitters. Thank you so much!

Here is a close-up shot of the finished shawl...

1 Comments:

At 6:22 PM, Blogger Jackie said...

I'm glad the yarn got used and enjoyed! Your shawl looks great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home